Glen Ord

First Society bottling in 1989.

It was founded on the site of a smugglers' bothy in a parish to the north-west of Inverness where distilling was the sole manufacture. There were nine licensed distilleries here, but this is the sole survivor. Bought by Dewars in 1923, the floor maltings were converted to Saladin boxes in 1961. A large drum maltings was built adjacent to the distillery in 1966. The malt has recently enjoyed vigorous promotion by its owner, United Distillers.